A REVIEW OF THE STORY OF CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY: TWENTY CENTURIES OF TRADITION AND REFORM, by Roger E. Olson. Intervarsity Press, 1999. 652 pp. $34.99. This review appeared originally in Modern Reformation, July/August 2001 Historical theology is an important part of the process . . . Continue reading →
Historical theology is an important part of the process of deciding who we are, what we believe and consequently how we will behave. For confessional Protestants, the past is not absolutely definitive, since all theologies besides God’s revealed word err, but its . . . Continue reading →
With this post we resume the series (begun on the old HB). Marcus is a 2004 graduate (MA) of the historical theology program at Westminster Seminary California. He is a fellow Cornhusker and is now a PhD candidate at the University of . . . Continue reading →
I hope this makes sense to my CH602 students
You are heartily invited to to join the faculty, friends of Westminster Seminary California, and others to hear two candidates for the degree Master of Arts (Historical Theology) will defend their theses.
Commencement week excitement continues. Justin Ryals and Travis Baker defended their MA theses last night in the chapel of Westminster Seminary California. Justin won the coin toss and elected to defend his thesis first. He argued that “C. S. Lewis’ …definition of . . . Continue reading →
Part 1 of the response is here. Lane’s review is here. Eight responses to his five questions and then I have to get back to work.
Part 2 is here. In this response I focus only on Lane’s points 5 and 6, because those are ones about which I’m most concerned.
Carl Trueman is your man. I know it’s unusual to see me flogging someone else’s book. That’s why you should pay attention when I do so. This is a really good book. Why? Because Carl is an excellent scholar who . . . Continue reading →
via Libronix. (HT: Dennis McFadden)
The editorial board is pleased to announce the forthcoming publication the first volume of a new series of primary texts in Reformed theology, Classic Reformed Theology. Volume 1 is a translation of William Ames, A Sketch of the Christian’s Catechism. This volume . . . Continue reading →
Thanks to Todd Rester for pointing us to this resource.
The new edition should come out in November from Reformation Heritage Books. More details later. You can order the remaining copies of the original edition from WSC books. We’ll have the RHB edition when it is available.
He reviews it here.
Robert G. Torbet, A History of the Baptists (Philadelphia: The Judson Press, 1950), 35 contains this striking subordinate clause, “…when Zwingli became reluctant to continue his Anabaptist teaching…” I’ve read this claim before and I’ve heard it repeated. I’ve never seen any . . . Continue reading →
70% of Westminster Seminary California students (numerically 95 of our 135 enrolled students) are in the Master of Divinity (MDiv) program and preparing to enter the pastoral ministry. The remaining 30% are in one of three MA programs. One of those MA . . . Continue reading →
In three parts at the Sola Panel (HT: Justin)
Office Hours talks with Assistant Professor of New Testament Joel Kim about his life in Korea, growing up in two cultures, his work as a pastor, his research into the history of interpretation of Romans 7, and more. Listen to Office Hours . . . Continue reading →
Patrick O’Banion is one of the several outstanding graduates of the MA (Historical Theology) program, Westminster Seminary California. At my request he checked in and provided this update: Teaching: I was recently hired as an assistant professor at Lindenwood University in St . . . Continue reading →