Indiana United Methodist minister Craig Duke donned a big pink wig, lots of purple eye shadow, bright red lipstick, and high heels while appearing on a recent HBO episode of “We’re Here.” The series features HBO drag queen hosts visiting small towns to recruit local drag queens to perform.
Pastor Duke called his HBO experience in drag not only “worshipful” but an “incredibly wonderful, refreshing, deepening, powerful spiritual experience.” He explained his drag performance as solidarity with his “pansexual” daughter. Duke is now to be reassigned to a new church, but he is not the only Methodist doing drag.
United Methodist News Service recently posted a video about Illinois local church employee Isaac Simmons in a pearl necklace and bright red wig as “Ms. Penny Cost,” a play on Pentecost. “Drag is over-the-top and joyous,” he explained in character while performing at his church. At age 23, he’s also the first openly gay ministerial candidate approved by United Methodism’s mid and southern Illinois region, defying denominational law.
According to Simmons, who cites Queen Esther as a bold role model, “United Methodism is big enough to embrace both conservative theology and a drag queen.” Official United Methodist doctrine and policy requires clergy to be celibate if single and monogamous in marriage. Active homosexuals are prohibited from ordination, and same-sex rites are banned—at least officially. There is no official church policy on drag queens or transgenderism. Until very recently, no church could have imagined the need for such a policy. Read more»
MARK TOOLEY | “Drag Queens and The Coming Methodist Schism” | December 8, 2021
- How To Subscribe To Heidelmedia
- The Heidelblog Resource Page
- Heidelmedia Resources
- The Ecumenical Creeds
- The Reformed Confessions
- The Heidelberg Catechism
- Recovering the Reformed Confession
- They Are Coming For Your Children
- Again, They Are Coming For Your Children Spiritually, Ideologically, And Intellectually
- How Did We Get To Drag Queen Story Hour?
- A Note To My Hometown About The Drag Queen Story Hour And The Powers That Be
- Shocker: Milwaukee Judge Of Children’s Court, Who Organized “Drag Queen Story Hour,” Arrested For Child Porn
- Why You Should Not Let Hollywood Catechize Your Children
- Resources On LGBTQ And Revoice