John Calvin was born on this date, 10 July 1509. He died in 1564. He was author of many volumes (including a massive Bible commentary, hundreds of personal letters, and public treatises), most famous of which is his Institutes of the Christian Religion, the final Latin edition of which appeared in 1559. Below are some resources to get you started in your study of Calvin.
- W. Robert Godfrey, John Calvin: Pilgrim and Pastor.
- T. H. L. Parker, John Calvin: A Biography
- Bruce Gordon, Calvin
- W. DeGreef, The Writings of John Calvin (expanded)
- Richard Muller, The Unaccommodated Calvin
- More Than The Institutes
- Roman Catholic Scholar Converts To Evangelical Cause
- (Video) Who Are The Reformers? John Calvin
- The Biography Channel Is Wrong About Calvin
- Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion (Battles edition, 2 vols).
- (Audio) Office Hours With Scott Manetsch On Calvin And Reformed Ministry In Geneva
- (Audio) Office Hours With Mike Horton: Calvin On The Christian Life
- There Is More To Calvin Than The Institutes And More To Being Reformed Than Calvin
- Calvin As Theologian Of Comfort
- Calvin’s Short Treatise On The Lord’s Supper (1541)
- Notes On Calvin’s Doctrine That Justification Sola Fide Is the “Principal Axis” Of The Christian Religion
- Scott Manetsch On Calvin’s Context And Ours
- Was Calvin A Homosexual Convict?
- Godfrey: Calvin On The Eucharist
- Of Calvin And Genevan Dogs
- The Calvin As Tyrant Meme
- Does Calvinism Lead To Domestic Violence?
- Muller On Calvin And the Reformed Tradition
- The New Perspective On Calvin
- Molly Worthen On Driscoll And Calvin
- Calvin To The Evangelical Nicodemites
- More HB Resources On Calvin
Thank you very much for this wealth of resources. Can’t wait to begin with those I haven’t seen yet.
If you’re suggesting that we dig him up to give him the bumps, I’m afraid that will have to wait until next year.
Couldn’t find him.
Shades of Andersen’s Tinder Box (just to show how scriptural one can be)! I’m afraid it’ll be necessary to dig up the entire Cimetière, barring the marked graves identified as housing others, and give them ALL the bumps.