In this episode, Dr. Clark continues his series on the Canons of Dort, looking at the Fifth Head of Doctrine and what happens to our understanding of “perseverance of the saints” when we turn the covenant of grace into a covenant of works. Dr. Clark also answers questions from Craig about his process for studying the Bible, from David about Machen’s book, “Things Unseen,” from Ben regarding the Lord’s Supper, and from Luke about the primacy of the preaching. Thanks to Nathan White, a Heidelblog contributor, who says the Heidelblog was an influence in helping him settle into sound Reformed doctrine. The opening audio clip is Bill Whittle speaking about Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome.
This episode of the Heidelcast is sponsored by Westminster Seminary California. John Calvin said that faith is the axis around which everything in the Christian life rotates. How true that is—and this year, Westminster Seminary California’s Annual Conference will be focusing on faith specifically, exploring various facets of doctrine and life as they touch upon the centrality of faith in the Christian life. Bringing these messages are Westminster’s own: Dr. Michael Horton, and Dr. W. Robert Godfrey, and Westminster President Joel Kim. Joining them are faculty Drs. Craig Troxel and Brad Bitner.
This conference is a unique opportunity to listen to these seasoned pastors and theologians share from God’s word to help us in this Christian pilgrimage. The conference will be livestreamed, but we recommend coming in person so you can take advantage of the intimate setting of the conference to meet the speakers and ask follow-up questions. “From Faith to Faith: The Power of of God for the Christian Life” is happening January 13-14 and registration is open now! Go to the website for more information and to save your spot!
- All the Episodes of the Heidelcast
- Heidelcast Series: Every Tribe, Tongue, and Nation
- How To Subscribe To Heidelmedia
- On Twitter @Heidelcast
- How To Support Heidelmedia: use the donate button below
- Subscribe in Apple Podcast
- Subscribe directly via RSS
- New Way To Call The Heidelphone: Voice Memo On Your Phone
- Text the Heidelcast any time at (760) 618–1563.
- Ways To Listen to the Heidelcast:
Call the Heidelphone anytime at (760) 618–1563. Leave a message or email us us a voice memo from your phone and we may use it in a future podcast. Record it and email it to Heidelcast at heidelcast dot net.
If you benefit from the Heidelcast please leave a five-star review on Apple Podcasts so that others can find it.
Please do not forget to make the coffer clink (see the donate button below).
© R. Scott Clark. All Rights Reserved.
- The Heidelcast
- How To Make the Coffer Clink: Use the Donate Button Below This Post
- Heidelblog Resources
- The HB Media Archive
- The Ecumenical Creeds
- The Reformed Confessions
- Heidelberg Catechism (1563)
- Recovering the Reformed Confession (Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2008).
- What Must A Christian Believe?
- Why I Am A Christian
- If You Want To Know What P&R Christians Believe, Read The Confessions
- Resources On The Canons And Synod Of Dort
- Peace And Purity Provided By Authority: John Thomson’s Defense Of Presbyterian Church Polity
- Canons And Decrees Of The Second Council Of Orange (AD 529)
- Calvin On Acts 20:28
- The Reformed Doctrine of the “Communicatio”
- Resources On The Controversy Over “Final Salvation Through Works”
- Anti-Scholasticism, Revival(ism), Pietism, Or The Reformed Theology, Piety, And Practice?
- Tillich: Pietism And The Enlightenment Both Fought Against Orthodoxy
- Resources On Reformed Piety
- Resources On The Assurance Of Salvation
- Canons Of Dort (30): God’s Gracious Assurance Of Perseverance
- Berkhof: Perseverance Is By Grace Alone Through Faith Alone