Two Kenyan pastors, both ministering in Three Forms of Unity churches, have just completed this new translation of the Heidelberg Catechism into Swahili. Our federation of churches has 10 congregations in it, mostly from some of the poorest and most neglected tribes. They have already started work on a new translation of the Belgic Confession, after which they will carry on with the Canons of Dort.
Recently, we (Shadow Servants Ministries) completed the building of a church for 100 members in Ahero, a town in northwestern Kenya and we are building a two classroom pastoral training center in Meru. The first courses of study will be the credal and confessional documents.
The group of men with blue robes are leaders in Tanzania, who have just completed memorization of the catechism and have graduated from that class. They are Baptists, and they also teach these doctrines to the school they have built with over 200 students. The school helps to prevent the children of poorer families from being recruited into Muslim madrasas, where they would have become radicalized.
Perhaps the recovery of the Reformed Confession will happen in Africa?
Here is a recording of Heidelberg Catechism question and answer 1 in Swahili:
- How To Subscribe To Heidelmedia
- The Heidelblog Resource Page
- How to support Heidelmedia: use the donate button below this post or on the front page.
- Heidelmedia Resources
- The Ecumenical Creeds
- The Reformed Confessions
- The Heidelberg Catechism
- Recovering the Reformed Confession (Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2008).
- Audio: Two Episodes With Saints And Sinners Unplugged On The Heidelberg Catechism
- Introduction To The Heidelberg Catechism