An op-ed Wednesday in The Washington Post laid out how the left is attempting to dismantle what Congress once unanimously recognized as “undergird[ing] the very origin and existence of the United States”: religious freedom.
Specifically, Louise Melling, deputy legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union, argues in the op-ed that the constitutional right to exercise religious faith always must yield to the civil right against discrimination.
… Recognizing that religious freedom is important, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act allows the federal government to burden the exercise of religion only if it is a “narrowly tailored” means for achieving a “compelling” government purpose. About half the states have a similar law.
… Melling’s column in the Post shows that the ACLU has completely rejected the approach it once supported. Now, she argues, any claim of discrimination should automatically defeat any assertion of religious freedom.
Same-sex couples, for example, must be able to obtain the cake, flowers, website, or photographer for a wedding anywhere they choose, including where doing so forces a particular business owner to violate his religious beliefs. Read More»
Thomas Jipping | “Since When Does Freedom From Discrimination Require Destroying Religious Freedom?” | September 9, 2022
- How To Subscribe To Heidelmedia
- The Heidelblog Resource Page
- Heidelmedia Resources
- The Ecumenical Creeds
- The Reformed Confessions
- The Heidelberg Catechism
- Recovering the Reformed Confession (Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2008)
- Why I Am A Christian
- Support Heidelmedia: use the donate button
- Resources On Public School, Homeschooling, Christian Schools, And Education
- A California Court Defends Free Speech And Religious Freedom
- Religious Freedom Watch: SCOTUS Rules On South Bay UPC v Newsom
- Religious Freedom Watch: Kansas City Church Wins Settlement Over Religious Discrimination
- Religious Freedom Watch: Third Circuit Allows Suit Against NJ On First Amendment Grounds
- Religious Freedom Watch: SCOTUS To Consider Whether Religious Schools May Do Religious Things
- Religious Freedom in Public School Classrooms
- Religious Freedom Watch: Deny the Faith or Get Out?
- New HB Resource Page On LGBTQ And Revoice
- Religious Liberty And Free Speech Suffers Another Defeat As LGBTQ Lobby Continues To Demand Affirmation Of Gay Marriage
- May Churches In Oregon Be Sued For Refusing To Host LGBTQ Weddings? It Depends