This is Penn State sociology professor, Sam Richards teaching Sociology 119. Inequality in hiring practices is fact and should be addressed. Subconscious biases are a reality and should be addressed. It is fine for a prof to call out a student for being unprepared but it is fundamentally wrong and un-American to humiliate a student for an immutable characteristic and to convict him and everyone who looks like him of crimes by virtue of that immutable characteristic. That is exactly what we used to call prejudice and racism.
Here is a classic case of ritual, public humiliation. The agitators behind the Cultural Revolution (in China, 1966–1776) would be proud.
- How To Subscribe To Heidelmedia
- The Heidelblog Resource Page
- How to support Heidelmedia: use the donate button below this post.
- Heidelmedia Resources
- The Ecumenical Creeds
- The Reformed Confessions
- The Heidelberg Catechism
- Recovering the Reformed Confession (Phillipsburg: P&R Publishing, 2008).
- Resources On Critical Theory, Political Correctness, And Free Speech
- Resources On Social Justice And Racism